Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First day of the 2010-2011 School Year

Today was our first day!  And it was a busy one.  I knew it would be hectic so went in early and just as well.  In the first 45 minutes I must of hit 5-6 classrooms and worked on 10 issues.  Then they opened the doors for the kids.  It is really good to see them again this year.  The biggest kick was seeing the first graders.  Each of the four first grades came around the school on tours.  As Kindergartners they really don't travel around the school.  It was a blast seeing all of them moving up.  Kindergarten was by far the most fun labs last year and they were in often so we got to know each other.  The name Mr. M. came for those guys as they had such a hard time with my name.  However, a boy and a girl from different classes always called me Mr. Ed.  I guess I introduced myself with first and last name.  Of course anyone under 25 does not get the joke (how old do I feel after a phrase like that) but there was a pretty funny TV series in the early to mid 60's with a talking horse named Mr. Ed.  Enough said about that.
The rest of today went pretty well.  Hauled out a cart of Laptops.  25 in all plus 5 teacher loaners to turn on to allow for any software updates from over the summer.  Found a bad battery also.  We have two carts and tomorrow will be the other cart.  Worked on our Candlebrook website.  I missed the Guidance Counselor name change.  Also tried attempt number two of attaching document holders to our desktop monitors.  Sound exciting?  It's not but it is a problem I thought I had solved last year.  These are small plastic arms that hold a piece a paper to allow you to type.  They all had that sticky rubbery pads on the part that goes on the monitor.  I found them in the closet when I started, so I guess that did not work.  Self-stick Velcro was the answer I said.  And it did work for about 4-5 months.  Then the Velcro began pulling off.  My latest idea is I figure these huge monitors are not going anywhere after this lab with flat screens taking over.  So I got the go ahead to try glue.  I set up two to test it out.  Like I said, exciting.  I have to start adding pictures.  There was a lot of other stops.  Thanks to the PTC for a Boo-Hoo breakfast bagel.  Tomorrow is the second laptop cart, do some housekeeping in the lab and get the headphones finished.  I'll save that exciting story for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment